Sunday, January 13, 2019

Cold ~ Puppy ~ Snow ~ Soup

Sounds like an interesting title for a recipe, doesn't it?
In reality, it's just what's up at Corelis house.

It feels like winter, it looks like winter, it IS winter.
I have a Cold.
Puppy (Abbey Lane) loves the Snow.
I made Soup.
Nothing more exciting than this . . . but soup always makes you feel better!
For those of you who may not know, in a previous life I owned a restaurant.
Because of this I've always looked at recipes as mere "suggestions". 
So, I will share my "recipe" here, with the hope you will make it your own!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
COLD PUPPY SNOW SOUP
(Vegan/plant based - but add or use what you like for you!)
I began with Bob's Red Mill Veggie Soup Mix.
Not really a "mix" just an assortment of split peas, lentils, barley & 
whole wheat pasta alphabets!
 About 2 cups.
2 cartons of low sodium vegetable broth
(WE are on low sodium diet for husbands heart, it takes a little work in the beginning, 
but once you find the right ingredients it's easy!)
1 - 15 oz can of low sodium/no salt added fire roasted diced tomatoes
*Bring to boil, lower to simmer for about 20 min.
Begin to season broth with your favorite seasonings.
My choices:
Garlic
Smoked Paprika (a favorite)
Parsley
a pinch of Tyme
Cumin
Pepper
Scotty O'Hotty - Roasted Pepper sauce.
(Sub any favorite hot sauce, but note many are very high sodium, 
Scotty's isn't too bad on the sodium and the flavor is mild yet rich!)
While the broth simmers, cut up any vegetables you might have in the fridge.
1 - 2 C. each. (A great time for a clean out!)
I eat ALOT of veggies, so we are never low. 
Just look at the colors of those amazing carrots!
The purple ones with the yellow centers are so fun!
It was a mixed bag of carrots, orange, purple, yellow and white.
Add the cut up veggies.
(I saved the broccoli tops and frozen peas for last as they cook quickly)
Adjust seasonings and enjoy!
Stay healthy, enjoy the snow and eat soup!
Lori Ann

4 comments:

TheCrankyCrow said...

Hello and Happy 2019 (and 2018 and 2017....I have been gone a good long while from blogging LOL)! Hope your year is off to a great start...although it does not sound it if you are under the weather...hope you get over your cold soon. And ahhhh....soup. It is the only good thing about winter in my world! I can’t seem to get enough of good, homemade, soup (and, well, truth be told....a goodly chunk of homemade or artisan bread to go along with). Thanks for sharing your recipe...I may have to give it a try. I’m not sure why, but it surprises me that you were a restaraunt owner....then again, cooking done right does involve artistry. I snuck a peek back too...LOVE that coverlet you gifted yourself with....I, too, have an affliction for birds. Sunday Blessings & Hugs ~ Robin

Three Sheep Studio said...

Your soup looks amazing ! I also think crusty bread, to sop up all those delicious juices, would be great.
Rose

Lori from Notforgotten Farm said...

just reading your recipe warms my soul ~
feel better, I'm on the mend too!
L

Lana Manis said...

I hope you're feeling better, Lori Ann. Your soup looks delicious! Last weekend I made homemade chili and today it was homemade vegetable soup. Nothing fancy, just a big pot to get us through the weekend. :)
Have a blessed 2019!